Sunday, April 23, 2006

SUBZERO doesn´t go to the movies

So, on Friday I went to Stuttgart to see V FOR VENDETTA. Yes, that´s right, I wrote " I went to see it " instead of " I saw V for Vendetta " because I did not get to see it. I don´t know if it is just me but every time I go to Stuttgart and have a little time to go window shopping there are two movie theatres less then the last time.


Normally when I go to Stuttgart I have only time to go to the comicshop and maybe grab somethimg at Mc Donalds or Burger King so I don´t have to cook. So every few months when I have the time to stroll through Stuttgart there are some new shops and some old ones are closed. Last time the HEINZELMAENCHEN one of the comicshops I used to go to had gone out of business. And this time two cinemas have closed their doors while two new coffe shops and a mall have opened business. The new mall is part of the SATURN company and they have a lot of WWE wrestling DVDs - in fact I think they have every main event since 2004. So while I was going up the Koenigsstrasse searching for a movie theatre showing V for Vendetta I checked out the new mall and got the new pink album ( which has an extra track for the foreign edition coming out here in Germany ) and a DVD with the Divas of the WWE. So I got some entertainment out of my visit to Stuttgart even if the only cinema showed it only on Fridays and Saturdays at 23.00 hours and I prefer to go at 14.00 or 15.00 hours.


It seems that there are more and more movie theatres going out of business which could be because of audiences getting smaller and smaller. I think that´s because going to the movies is not as much fun as it used to be. It is very expensive and since the movie theatres have decided to go for the younger audience you can´t see a movie without a cell phone going off at the most unfortunate moment. So the older audience stays away and the younger audience doesn´t seem to be as lucrative as thought. And they always leave behind a mess to clean up. And as I said there is the fact of the cell phones. I swear you can teach any monkey to use a box to reach his bananas but it is impossible for the kids of this new generation to switch off their phones. At least in France they have now installed jamming devices to keep the cell phones from functioning in theatres. So at the moment going to the movies is very expensive and you can´t even see them undisturbed by some idiots. And since it is not that difficult to get even brandnew movies from the net more and more people watch them in the privacy of their own home. Of course the movie industry is more interested in criminalizing their audience instead of thinking why they stay away and what they could do to make it more attractive for them.


I mean, I love to go to see a movie at the theatre but the last one I went to was SIN CITY because you can´t see that movie on a small screen for the first time. And before that I went to a matinee showing which is a totally different audience. Because it is not a new movie and all the people at the theatre are there to see the movie and not to call somebody or to talk with someone on their cell phones or because they want to hang out and talk shit to show how cool they are the whole time. So unless there are some changes made all cinemas but the big cineplexes are going to go out of business I´m afraid.

New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN :

  • top ten posts


  • more posts of interest


  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Remarkable answer :)