Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happy birthday Wonder Woman !

Today movie cult siren Lynda Carter celebrates her 60th birthday so I thought I should do a post on this as german television will probably totally neglect this. They just bring it on the news if it´s about someone famous in theaters or tv. And tv means tv in Germany.


Lynda is best known for playing the lead character Wonder Woman in the tv series. I would like to say that I first saw it as a little kid and that this experience shot me right into puberty......but that's not true. You know when I was young I didn't watch Wonder Woman on tv because they quite frankly didn't show it. I don't know if that was because of her revealing outfit that could corrupt young impressionable males or that the germans mostly appeared as evil Nazis in the show - fact is there were only two tv stations at that time and none of them showed Wonder Woman.


Again with the Nazi thing, weird isn´t it ? Or maybe that´s just me that I keep on focusing on this Nazie thing. But it is something you will stumble upon again and again in Germany. At least this means that my readership will increase as more people seem to read the " Nazi posts " vs the " Non - Nazi posts ". In retrospect I should maybe do something like " Nazi month " here on this blog.

But back to the original Nazibashing amazon : being a comic fan I watched everything comic related like the HULK series with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno or even the awful Spider - Man movies.


I would have loved the Wonder Woman series. But I had to wait till my military service because that was when private tv stations started in Germany. Man, this is weird how the same topics and themes keep popping up again and again.

We´ve had Nazis before, we just talked about the time of my military service in the last post...etc. You know, I think it´s kind of sad that Today´s Youth are not forced to defend Germany with totally useless firearms because - well, not because it´s such a great idea but because I had many life changing experiences during that time. I found my first real comicstore where I discovered most of the american comics I loved later on and cultivated my taste for independent comics there. I saw my first shows of Tutti Frutti, Catch Up, Wonder Woman and many others there.


I think I really wouldn´t be the man I am Today if things would have turned out different. You know, the road not taken......

Back to when I was doing my military service in Munich : before that all tv stations were regulated by the government but then private tv companies started and they sometimes were desperate for content so they showed everything that was cheap and not too new. They emitted around the clock and they had to fill the early afternoons and the nights with something and luckily for me one of the shows was WONDER WOMAN.


If you compare the show to Today's tv series it is kind of campy and naiive and the special effects were primitive but Lynda Carter - she was hot. When I saw the first episodes of WONDER WOMAN I wasn't sure if this was really aimed at young kids. For one part Lynda Carter looked extremely hot. In the beginning she is a bit skinny but over the course of the show she begins to fill out the costume much better.


There are some rumors that she wore an artificial butt - which would explain why it looked a bit weird in some scenes - but here's a clip of her as Diana Prince in a bathing suit that shows that it was probably just padding for the stunt scenes.


And there's some serious bouncing action going on.




In the scene Diana Prince was attacked by two guys who tried to drown her but she kicked their asses to escape then transformed into Wonder Woman - and came back to kick their asses some more.


You just have to love a woman like that. Here's Diana kicking it good :



By the way, I just love it how her hair is instantly dry. This would be a good way to dry your hair : just transform and everything´s okay.

As I said, Lynda Carter started to fill out the costume much better but it looks like it took some time to change the costume because in some episodes she still has the the small top and she´s almost spilling out.


Which was extremely sexy in the scenes of Wonder Woman running.


I guess gazillions of young boys reached manhood prematurely through strange dreams of Wonder Woman Lynda Carter running.


Here is a nice clip of Wonder Woman running that includes a slomo :



More pics of Wonder Woman running :


I guess the producers also caught up to what was the best part of the show because from then there was much more running and jumping.


But that was not the epitome of Wonder Woman exuberance. That was in one of the few episodes I watched at home ( later when we also had cable tv ) where she helped a catburglar steal a diamond or something.


She was dangling upside down from a rope and while she was trying to open a safe or something her breasts followed gravity and slowly slid out


of her top. I waited to see them totally uncovered but every time they


 showed the cat burglar and then zoomed back they were in the top again.


Then they kept on sliding out but in the next shot they were back in.


Damn you, evil tv censorship. Well, despite that it is a really sexy scene.



And Lynda Carter DOES have an incredibly sexy set of gams on her.


Of course as a woman Wonder Woman had to wear the perfect outfit for every ocassion. First there was the blue swimsuit. Now it was just a skintight blue rubber suit but I think it might even be hotter than the usual outfit.




I'm sure she started some boys´ obsession with latex that way.






Then there was motorcycle Wonder Woman which was basically the same blue suit like the swimsuit one but with a helmet. That's right, kids. Safety first.





And speaking of safety notice the padding on the elbows and knees on skateboard Wonder Woman. Like I said an outfit for every occassion.





And let's not forget Wonder Woman's horseback riding outfit.


....and then the doctor said : " If that's my thermometer what happened to my ballpen ? "

Now I don't know what was the reason of the different outfits. Maybe it was that they tried to avoid showing a wet Wonder Woman in her regular outfit. Or maybe they were into marketing and wanted to sell some toys. All I know is that there were some toys of Wonder Woman. And Steve Trevor. And of Nubia - whoever that was........



I think she was in some of the comics as a rival / foe / bitchy chick kind of foil.


Well, one aspect that made me doubt that the Wonder Woman tv show was for kids was the costume but after all Lynda Carter couldn't help it if she was hot. Another thing was that Wonder Woman was constantly tied up or put into chains. Now either they took that right from the old Wonder Woman comics - in which this happened a lot -





or someone on the show had a rather kinky taste.






And speaking of kinky stuff Wonder Woman was also very often manhandled by thugs who she would overcome very easily. Now I think that they all knew they had no chance against Wonder Woman.


Everybody with half a brain knows that. No, what they tried to do was grab her and trying to britzky her ( private expression ) or rubbing themselves against her body. That's like the dying man's last wish. If they had to go to jail at least they tried to take this memory with them.



There were some changes in the tv show from the original comic book which I just recently discovered because of some episodes I hadn't seen before. On most days I would just switch through the channels but on Sundays I watched the two episodes of TALES FROM THE CRYPT and one episode of Wonder Woman. Watching Wonder Woman in spanish has it's own charm because when it is shown on german tv everybody speaks german but on spanish tv only the Nazis do. That's like a bit of home sweet home right there.


One of the first episodes I saw was with Wonder Woman's sister Drusilla which I didn't know she had. I also didn't know that Wonder Woman's sister was Debra Winger and that she was quite........gifted as a young woman. Holy wonderbra, Batman.


There are some clips of this on YouTube but for some strange reasons the embedding has been disabled.

Another new fact I discovered was that Wonder Woman's braceletts were made of Amazonium ( or was it Feminum ? ), a special alloy only known to the amazons. In the comics they were just given to Wonder Woman by the gods and could deflect bullets because of magic. But since the gods never appeared in the tv show they needed another explanation. The episodes with Debra are really quite funny because of the clash of cultures and Wonder Girl's fixation on ice cream. One of my favorite scenes is when Wonder Girl is amused by the idea of Wonder Woman taking orders from a man. " He tells you what to do and you do it ? " Another plus of the episodes is seeing John Saxon as an evil Nazi masterspy. And he could SO be an evil Nazi masterspy although he would probably be called Johann Sachs instead of John Saxon.


Other changes were for example that she needed her magic belt to stay strong when she was away from Paradise Island. Of course this was an easy way to sap her strength whenever the bad guys got the jump on her - they just had to take away her belt and they could start again with the ropes and the chains.


And speaking of ropes : naturally she also used her magic lasso to bind the villains and force them to tell her the truth.


I guess that also sparked some fetish phantasies among young viewers.


But Wonder Woman was not only beloved by kids worldwide. Even animals liked her. I don't know if that's something that was also in the comic but in the tv show she could communicate with birds.



But not all her dealings with animals were of such a peacful nature. There was one episode I saw in which a gorilla named " Gargantua " is trained to attack and kill Wonder Woman and of course a woman had to come up with that plan.


Useless men. In the end even the gorilla couldn't resist Wonder Woman's charm - who could ? - and Wonder Woman helped him to return to his jungle but before that they really got it on.


" Steve ! This is not what you think ! "



Who never got it on - at least not with Diana Prince - was Steve Trevor who was so fixated on Wonder Woman that he never realized he had a classy woman right next to him.


Of course all the other men in the show had no such problems and always tried to score with her which made the whole situation even more unbelievable. For me this was always the realistic part because that also happens in real life. It's the whole " Lois Lane - Clark Kent " thing. I think that's one of the reason why they gave her this huge glasses because without them she was often hotter than Wonder Woman.


" My, Diana, I never noticed how big your........glasses are. "



All in all I think the show was great. In fact Lynda Carter was so successful as Wonder Woman that she is still associated to that role by most people and Hollywood hasn't managed to find a replacement for her. Which is the reason there hasn't been a Wonder Woman movie since.


Right now Joss Whedon is rumored to be working on one but like with all rumors I'm waiting for the finished product. Here is a clip with the all time Wonder Woman Lynda Carter so all them Hollywood types can see what´s it all about :



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest

2 comments:

robertode52 said...

Happy b,day/love always hope to see you in more movies xxxxxxooooo

Lynda said...

I've loved WW since I was a kid and watched her on TV in the 70's. (Oddly enough I'm a hetrosexual woman.) I once had a conversation with a transvestite who was cutting my hair. We got on the subject of Lynda Carter, and he was adamant that she was a 9 1/2 because she had a flat rear-end. This was years before the JLO/Kardashian phenomenon changed our views of derrieres. Long story short this is the first time I've seen rumors off butt padding on Ms. Carter. I've watched alot of WW and I have to agree with my transvestite hairdresser, it looks natural to moi.

P.S. If you haven't read the book on William Moulton Marston you should. It's no surprise WW was tied up all the time, he was into bondage in a big way.